UK’s Prince Philip to step down from royal duties

News 04 May 2017

left right FILE PHOTO: Britain's Queen Elizabeth waits to read the Queen's Speech to lawmakers in the House of Lords, next to Prince Philip, during the State Opening of Parliament in central London May 9, 2012. REUTERS/Oli Scarff/POOL/File Photo 1/18 left right FILE PHOTO – Britain's Queen Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip leave the Houses of Parliament following the annual State Opening of Parliament in London in this November 18, 2009 file photo. REUTERS/Toby Melville/Files 2/18 left right FILE PHOTO: Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh walk at Broadlands in Romsey, southern England in this undated photograph taken in 2007. REUTERS/Fiona Hanson/Pool/File Photo 3/18 left right His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh entrusts new regimental colours to Lieutenant Bronson Peacock from 3rd Battalion of The Royal Canadian Regiment at a Queen's Park ceremony in Toronto April 27, 2013. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill 4/18 left right FILE PHOTO – Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip wave from the balcony of Buckingham Palace after attending the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London in this June 13, 2009 file photo. REUTERS/Kieran Doherty/Files 5/18 left right His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh entrusts new regimental colours to Lieutenant Bronson Peacock from 3rd Battalion of The Royal Canadian Regiment at a Queen's Park ceremony in Toronto April 27, 2013. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill 6/18 left right Britain's Prince Philip visits Lord's Cricket Ground where he opened the new Warner Stand, in London, May 3, 2017. REUTERS/Arthur Edwards/Pool 7/18 left right Britain's Queen Elizabeth talks to recipients of new 'Motability' vehicles during a ceremony in Windsor Castle, Windsor April 25, 2017. REUTERS/Richard Pohle/Pool 8/18 left right Britain's Prince Philip speaks to former England captain Mike Gatting as he visits Lord's Cricket Ground where he opened the new Warner Stand, in London, May 3, 2017. REUTERS/Arthur Edwards/Pool 9/18 left right Horses are ridden past Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall 10/18 left right Armed police stand on duty in the grounds of Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville 11/18 left right A horse and carriage is driven past Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall 12/18 left right Tourists look through the railings of Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville 13/18 left right People sit and stand on the Queen Victoria Memorial opposite Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall 14/18 left right A woman sits with her dog on the Queen Victoria Memorial opposite Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall 15/18 left right People cycle past Buckingham Palace in London, Britain May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville 16/18 left right A man strolls outside Buckingham Palace in London, Britain May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville 17/18 left right A policeman delivers newspapers to Buckingham Palace in London, Britain May 4, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville 18/18 By Michael Holden | LONDON

LONDON Prince Philip, the 95-year-old husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth, will retire from carrying out royal engagements later this year, Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday.

The prince, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh who has been by his wife's side throughout her 65 years on the throne, had decided he would cease public duties from autumn, the palace said in a statement.

"Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen," the statement said.

"Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time."

The queen, the world's longest-reigning living monarch who celebrated her 91st birthday in April, will continue to carry out a full program of official engagements, it added.

The announcement was made following a meeting of senior royal staff at Buckingham Palace, news of which prompted speculation about the health of the royals.

However a well-placed source said there was no cause for concern about the welfare of the queen or Philip, who turns 96 next month.

The couple, who are due to celebrate their platinum, or 70th, wedding anniversary in November have been cutting their workload in recent years, passing on many responsibilities to son and heir Prince Charles, and grandsons, Princes William and Harry.

Both carried out official duties on Wednesday, with Elizabeth meeting Prime Minister Theresa May to formally agree to the dissolution of parliament ahead of June's election while Philip opened a new stand at Lord's Cricket Ground in central London.

(Editing by Stephen Addison)

Original Article

Leave A Reply